Movie-based video games rarely get high ratings. They might sell well, but for the semi-hardcore gamer, it isn't even worth renting these half-finished games. But why can't a game developer create a successful movie-based game? I mean the content is there. You have some great storylines with characters already fleshed out. You have some excellent action-packed movies already released like The Dark Knight, Transformers, Wanted and James Bond's Quantum of Solace. So what gives? I'll tell you what gives; time.

Yes time. There is just not enough time to develop a decent video game when a movie is announced. On top of that, movie makers want a video game that doesn't stray too far from the theme of the movie, which puts game developers in a bind when they feel they have a great idea but the movie dudes disagree with them. So with the amount of time a game dev have plus trying to please the movie guys creates a horrible video game.

Want to know how bad some movie games are? Here are a list of low rates movie-based video games. All of these games scored below a 69 out of 100(or 6.9 out of 10) on metacritic.com:

I bolded Jumper: Griffin's Story because it is the third worst game released ever on the Xbox 360 ratings wise. A 2.9 out of 10? I'll be nice and round it up to a 3. So a 3 out of 10...wow. Granted, I thought Jumper was an ok movie action wise, but the story was shit. Was it because of the constant teleporting that the game developer of Jumper just couldn't nail it? I mean come on even the Pimp My Ride video game did better than the Jumper game(3.8). I think the ultimate question is, would Jumper: Griffin's Story had been a better game if it had more time to develop? I guess we will never know, but I'm sure it had to have a factor with a 3 rating. What about the actual game developer of Jumper? I can tell you that the publisher, Brash Entertainment, is out of business right now. The developer, Collision Studios, only has a few games under its belt, which could have also played a factor.

Will movie-based games ever wow us? So far the highest rated movie-based game is Peter Jackson's King Kong with a score of 8.0 out of 10. This year, X-Men Origins: Wolverine, Wanted: Weapons of Fate, Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen, and G.I. Joe are some of the few movies with games following with them. I hope they have ample time to finally prove us gamers wrong about the hopelessness of actually getting a worthy movie game title.

Head over to Jaquemini.com to read my guest post about video-game-based movies like Max Payne and why they fail so often.

Leave a Reply