This is my constructive response to TGN's editorial on the Top 10 Reasons To Ditch PC Gaming. Although I do agree with some of their points, I disagreed with many of the other points. Check out my comment below!

I do agree with many of your points, especially the future for PC gaming looking bleak, however there are plenty of reasons why PC gamers should not give up just yet. Here are 5 reasons why PC Gaming will live on:

1. Free Games: There are no free games on the consoles and I doubt there ever will be. Battlefield Heroes is PC only and will be completely Free-To-Play. Not to mention the many free mmorpgs like the upcoming Guild Wars 2.

2. Mod support: Let's face it, mods on the PS3 or the 360 are little to none at the moment. Most addons on the consoles charge the gamer, whereas on the PC it is free. And even if it is free on the console, its either a watered down version of the original mod or they scrap it all together. The newest Titan Pack for Unreal Tournament III is only on the PC right now since the PS3 version isn't ready yet and the 360 version probably will never happen.

3. Steam: Valve is saving the PC genre with its Steam app. You can pretty much purchase many PC games at a discount with Steam, plus alot of Valve's own PC games like Left 4 Dead and Team Fortress 2 are still alive and kicking. They now have achievements just like Xbox Live, and speaking of Xbox Live Microsoft made it free for the PC if you have the service already active.

4. "Xbox Live and the PlayStation Network are clear winners in the race for ease of entry to a platform." One word for this - World of Warcraft: There are 11 million people playing this game, so if anyone wanted ease into PC gaming, jump right into WoW and create a Night Elf hunter(sorry had to say it lol). And Xbox Live isn't the nicest place with the slew of racism going on during matches. Many times I don't wear my mic due to the rudeness of many of the players there. I'm not saying the PC is better than Live, but Live or PSN are not winners in this category.

5. PC is the King of Casual Gaming: If I'm not mistaken, there has been a huge push in the casual gaming market the last few years. With sites like Gametap.com, GoG.com, Miniclip.com, Pogo.com, iwin.com, etc etc, The consoles probably will never catch up to the PC. Anyone's mom can get on their laptop, jump on Yahoo and play from hundreds of casual games. Whereas on the 360 you have Scene It and a small list of Arcade games...all that cost. PC? Free.

Don't get me wrong, I love console games, especially my Xbox 360(I mean my blog is green for crying out loud!). But everything besides the DRM fiasco, developers moving on from PCs, and the Future looking bleak I have to disagree with. Whether we like it or not, World of Warcraft and the abundance of free premium and casual games currently out and on the way shows me that although this form of PC gaming may die, it will be reborn with more free games, more mod support, and more places to build a community like Steam running the show.

Leave a Reply